Monday, November 3, 2008

Weekend without smoke

This past weekend my wife, daughter and I went to our old home in Marshfield for some visiting and R & R. We had a great time hanging with friends and going out for dinner and drinks. Except there was something missing. At first I couldn't put my finger on it but after two nights out at diners and bars I realized what it was.....NO SMOKE! The city of Marshfield like Madison and several other cities around the state have banned public smoking. Now, while I feel a little pity towards the smokers, I myself LOVE IT! For years we stopped going out because we always hated that coming home and having to shower before we went to bed just to avoid the dreaded smoky pillow syndrome. I respect a person's right to smoke as much as they want in private. However in public is a completely different animal. Smoking unlike drinking, eating, or other activities that are held in public effect everyone within the smell of your Camel. People suffer from asthma, allergies and other ailments that are often triggered by cigarette smoke. So what do you think? Should smokers be allowed to smoke wherever they want? Or so you think a public smoking ban is good for everyone. I'm sure of one think, it was the most enjoyable time I have had in a bar in a long time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Along with no smoking why don't they also forbid people and their cranky/whiny/crying babies and kids from entering public places also!? I certainly don't want to hear that crap while I'm out trying to relax and have a good time!

Anonymous said...

As a smoker, I respect the wishes of people who don't smoke but why can't there be bars for both? A non smoker can chose to not go to a "smoking" bar where a smoker now has NO choice.